Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Healthy Peppermint Patties

When I was a little girl, my family frequently went to this hole-in-the-wall barbecue restaurant. This place had the best french fries I've ever had in my life and this red strawberry soda that came in a HUGE cup. Also, as an after-dinner treat, they sold York peppermint patties that had been in their back freezer.

It's probably because I have such fond childhood memories of this place that I have always had a love for peppermint patties. Actually, I love everything chocolate+peppermint. So much so that I always choose the chocolate peppermint flavored toothpaste at the dentist. See?

Anyway, I recently had a friend who threw a little party at her house and she made these homemade, healthy chocolate peppermint patties. I was doing another Whole30 at the time, and they have honey in them, so I regretfully abstained, but as soon as we were done, I whipped up a batch of these fantastic little treats. You will NOT be sorry if you make these!!



Healthy Peppermint Patties
makes 10-12

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
*1 tsp peppermint extract (I actually probably used more like 1.5 tsp)
1 bag chocolate chips (can use the Enjoy Life brand for dairy free, etc)

Combine coconut oil and honey until well mixed. I made these on a very warm day so my coconut oil was very soft and the perfect consistency. If it's too cold in your house, you might need to heat the coconut oil before you can mix together.

Add peppermint extract.

*The recipe I got actually calls for 10ish drops of Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil. If you do not have a peppermint EO that says on the bottle it is okay to ingest, please do NOT just eat any old essential oil. Make sure you check your labels!! I haven't ordered my Essential Oils kit yet, so I just used extract for these.

Place mixture in fridge or freezer until it hardens up a little bit. On a foil or parchment lined plate/cookie sheet, scoop out little balls (I used a small cookie scoop) of the mixture and flatten a little bit on the top to form "patties". Freeze patties again until they are quite hard.

Microwave chocolate chips in a glass bowl in 1 min increments and stir to melt. Allow to come closer to room temperature so it doesn't melt your frozen patties. Dip patties into chocolate to coat completely, and then return to parchment/foil. Return back to freezer to harden chocolate and then enjoy your frozen treat!!